Tuesday 19 July 2011

Indecision Cookies

I'll get to these in a minute...
Last week was actually quite busy on the baking front, so busy in fact that I didn't really stop to photo or post any of my endeavours. Apart from 'that cake', I made some cherry and almond cookies and quick brownies (from a packet mix, not gonna lie) for my brother to take for a bake sale, and lovely mini Red Velvet Cupcakes for my friend's birthday on thursday (Incidentally, we went to the midnight showing of Harry Potter, which was brilliant. The atmosphere was incredible; loads of people were dressed up, we all had our little round HP 3-D glasses on, everyone cheered at Molly Weasley. What more could you want from a night out?)
I digress. Here's a recipe from a few weeks ago in replacement for my poor post planning

Peanut-Butter-Oat-n-Raisin Cookies
Adapted from Sugar and Spice
Reeni's cookies looked amazing, but unfortunately I didn’t have any walnuts or spare chocolate around to chunk up so as I couldn’t decide what to do,  I combined this with one of my favourite cookies ever - the humble oat and raisin. And as it’s an American recipe, normally I’d go ‘aw, they look nice, but I know my estimation skills are shoddy so lets not try and guess cups…never mind’ but no more! Due to my mother’s excellent finding skills I am now the proud owner of these adorable Russian doll measuring cups. Really I just needed an excuse to try them out. Don’t you just love it when a coincidence like that comes along?

Ingredients
3 /4  cup butter
2/3 cup peanut butter (I like the extra texture of crunchy but it’s up to you!)
1 cup caster sugar
1 /2 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 /2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp cinnamon
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla syrup
1 ¼ cups plain flour
2 cups rolled oats
2 handfuls of raisins

  
Preheat the oven to 180 for a fan oven. 
Beat the butter and peanut butter together using an electric hand whisk and then add the sugars, baking powder, bicarb of soda and cinnamon. Then beat loads again till it’s as smooth as possible (resisting the urge to just eat the mixture as you go)
Add the eggs one at a time and then the vanilla, still beating. 
Sift the flour in an stir by hand for a bit so you don’t get big flour clouds, then once it’s roughly incorporated get the electric whisk on it again.
Finally stir the oats and raisins in and put the whole thing in the fridge. Forget about it for as long as you like, just so it solids up a bit and doesn’t spread so much when you get to bake them. Then when you’re ready place rounded tablespoons of cookie dough onto lined baking trays, and bake for 10 minutes (I’m afraid I don’t know exactly how many this makes, around 15-20 depending on how much of the mixture you eat while ‘letting it rest’)






1 comment: